Italian Intermezzo (Winter 2018-19)
Tour Type: Regional Journey
Brochure Type: Europe Winter 2018-19
Italy's most famous and best loved cities reveal a treasure-trove of riches on this concise, yet surprisingly diverse itinerary.Additional Included Highlights
Top Rated Highlights
- Venice: Cruise to St. Mark's Square by private launch. See St. Mark's Basilica, the bell tower, clock tower, Doge's Palace and Bridge of Sighs.
- Rome: See the mighty Colosseum and Roman Forum as well as other medieval buildings, Renaissance palaces and Baroque churches, scattered through the city.
Included Insight Services
- Verona: During your orientation, walk past the well preserved Roman Arena to Juliet's balcony in the courtyard of a Renaissance villa.
- Venice: Venice: With your Travel Director cruise to St. Mark's Square and see the Doge's Palace, Bridge of Sighs and St. Mark's Basilica.
- Venice: To the tune of accompanying musicians, you are serenaded through the atmospheric canals by gondola.
- Florence: During your guided walk see the cathedral, bell tower and Gates of Paradise on the baptistery. Visit the political heart of the city, Piazza della Signoria. See the area around Santa Croce Basilica, famous for the quality of its luxury goods. Witness a leather-work demonstration.
- Pisa: See the cathedral, baptistery and gravity-defying Leaning Tower.
- Assisi: A Local Expert will explain why the Basilica of St. Francis is considered one of the crowning achievements of medieval Europe.
- Rome: See the mighty Colosseum and Roman Forum. You will also see other medieval buildings, including Renaissance palaces and Baroque churches, scattered throughout the city.
- Vatican City: Visit the stunning Museo Gregoriano Profano which documents various moments and themes in classical art, from Ancient Greece through to the late Imperial Roman age.
- Our highly-skilled Travel Director will ensure your journey is seamless, serving as your expert guide, consummate organiser, and friend overseas.
- Enjoy the comfort of Insight's luxury, air-conditioned, 40-seat coach with double the standard legroom and onboard washroom.
- Personal radio headsets give you the freedom to wander during visits to famous highlights, without missing any of your Local Expert's fascinating commentary.
- We carry your bags for you and promptly deliver them to your hotel door.
- Hotel and restaurant tips are included - you'll never have to worry about how much to give, nor search for foreign currency We also include all taxes and porterage charges at hotels.
- Stay connected with friends and family with our complimentary coach and hotel Wi-Fi (where available).
- From time to time, your Travel Director will enchant you with an Insight Flourish, which is a local specialty representing the destination.
- If your arrival and/or departure flights are as per the itinerary start and end dates, then transfers are available at scheduled times. If your flights are outside these times, or you have booked additional nights accommodation with Insight Vacations, you may purchase transfers or make your own way from/to the airport.
|Call (800) 366-4165 for more information or to book today! Mention code 13867107|
|Offer valid through 6/30/2018|
|Day 1||Your Journey Begins||Your Journey Begins: Board your overnight flight to Europe (please ask about our great deals).|
|Day 2||Milan||Lively Milan.: Welcome to Italy. After being greeted by your Travel Director at Milan's Malpensa Airport, your transfer departs at 09:30 or 12:30. Join your Travel Director at 17:30 and head to local restaurant where your Welcome Dinner provides the opportunity to mingle and get to know your fellow travellers over a pleasant evening. (Dinner with Wine)|
Starhotels Ritz, Milan.
|Day 3||Venice||Verona and on to Venice, the Queen of the Adriatic.: Head east to elegant Verona, legendary home of Shakespeare's star-crossed lovers Romeo and Juliet. Enjoy a leisurely walk with your Travel Director, passing the well-preserved Roman Arena that is still used for opera performances. Stand beneath the balcony where the Capulet family is said to have lived and perhaps recite Shakespeare's immortal words. There is free time to explore or perhaps browse the local market before continuing to the glorious city of Venice. (Buffet Breakfast)|
B4 Bellini Venezia, Venice.
|Day 4||Venice||Venice and the Magic of La Serenissima.: Even for the experienced traveller, there can be no better joy than waking up in Venice. Transfer to Giudecca Island to witness the art of glassblowing. Then appreciate the splendour as you cruise by Palladio's San Giorgio Maggiore to St. Mark's Square. Your Travel Director will explain the glorious history of La Serenissima, once one of the greatest trading centres of the world - its wealth and power is echoed by the riches of St. Mark's Basilica. See the Doge's Palace and its adjoining Bridge of Sighs. Spend the afternoon as you wish. Later, on your romantic gondola serenade, glide along the atmospheric canals while musicians set the mood with traditional songs. (Buffet Breakfast)|
B4 Bellini Venezia, Venice.
|Day 5||Florence||Tranquil Tuscany, Pisa and Florence.: Follow the fertile valley of the River Po, into the peaceful landscapes of Tuscany. Continue to Pisa to see the world-famous Leaning Tower in the Square of Miracles as well as the 11th century cathedral and baptistery. Venture on to beautiful Florence - a treasure house of the Renaissance. On arrival, meet your Local Expert for a walk through the historic centre. Visit the Accademia Museum to see Michelangelo's masterpiece statue, David. Admire the marble clad cathedral and baptistery, where Ghiberti's Gates of Paradise have been recreated in all their glory. Wander through Piazza della Signoria, an open-air gallery filled with Renaissance sculptures. In the evening, dinner is served with a selection of Tuscany's finest wines, presented by an expert sommelier who explains each of the wines being served. (Buffet Breakfast / Dinner with Wine)|
Athenaeum Personal Hotel, Florence.
|Day 6||Florence||Free Time in Renaissance Florence.: Florence is known for its quality leather goods and you will be privy to the secrets of traditional Florentine leather-work when you visit a local workshop. The rest of the day is free for you to fully immerse yourself in the Tuscan capital. Perhaps shop for luxury goods at the markets around Santa Croce or relax and soak up the atmosphere in one of the many street cafes. Be sure not to miss the magnificent museums and galleries that house some of the most famous works of art in the world. In the evening, there is an opportunity to sample the true flavours of the region with a sumptuous Tuscan dinner, served with local wine. (Buffet Breakfast)|
Athenaeum Personal Hotel, Florence.
|Day 7||Rome||Chianti Country to Assisi and on to Rome.: Journey through the vineyards of the Chianti region passing Lake Trasimeno, the Italian Peninsula's largest lake and site of a great battle in ancient times against Hannibal and his war elephants. Continue up the foothills of the Apennine Mountains to reach delightful Assisi, a stone-built town spilling over the steep hillside. With a Local Expert, visit the tomb of St. Francis and see the beautiful frescoes by Giotto in the great basilica, before continuing along the valley of the River Tiber towards the Eternal City of Rome. In the evening, why not throw your coin into the Trevi Fountain to ensure your return to the city? (Buffet Breakfast)|
Veneto Palace Hotel, Rome.
|Day 8||Rome||Rome sightseeing with Private Vatican Dinner.: In the morning enjoy the very best of the city's highlights including visiting the magnificent St. Peter's Basilica in the Vatican. Afterwards, enjoy some free time, perhaps joining a tour of the Colosseum? In the afternoon, gain exclusive fast-tracked VIP entry into the Vatican Museums with a Local Expert. Admire the Papal art collection and enter the Sistine Chapel where you'll marvel at Michelangelo's masterpiece on its ceiling. In the evening, enjoy an elegant four-course dinner with local wine at a Roman restaurant. As you dine, you'll be serenaded with a private performance of popular songs and arias from some of Italy's best-loved operas. (Buffet Breakfast / Dinner with Wine)|
Veneto Palace Hotel, Rome.
|Day 9||Rome||Arrivederci Roma.: Bid farewell to the glories of Italy. Departure transfers arrive at Rome's Fiumicino Leonardo da Vinci Airport at 07:00 and 09:30. (Buffet Breakfast)|
|Twin prices are per person. Accademia Museum: Visit will not be available on the following departures 20 Dec + 27 Dec. Festive Highlight Dinners: 20 Dec Christmas Day in Florence. 27 Dec New Year's Eve in Florence. Christmas Markets: 17 Nov explores Verona; 20 Dec explores Milan, Verona & Rome; 27 Dec explores Milan & Rome; 5 Jan explores Milan.|
- These prices are correct at the time of the website going live, however are subject to confirmation at the time of booking.
- All tour information is correct at time of tours going live, however is subject to change, please confirm all details at time of booking.
- For full terms and conditions, please refer to our Conditions page.
- Hotel Class Key: D: Deluxe SF: Superior First Class F: First Class