Country Roads of Bavaria Switzerland and Austria (Summer 2017)
About Zürich (Kreis 11)
ADDITIONAL INCLUDED HIGHLIGHTS
- Munich: See the Marienplatz, Town Hall and Glockenspiel.
- Bavarian Alps: See the Oberammergau Passion Play Theatre.
- Salzburg: See the Mirabell Gardens, Mozart's birthplace on the Getreidegasse and visit the Cathedral in the Old Town.
- Mondsee: View the church featured in ‘The Sound of Music'.
- Vienna: Tour the Ring Road seeing the City Hall and Parliament.
- Kindberg: See the colourful maypole.
- St. Veit an der Glan: See the Plague Column and Rathaus.
- Dolomites: Visit the fashionable resort of Cortina d'Ampezzo.
- Innsbruck: See the Golden Roof and Imperial Palace.
- St Moritz: See the spa quarter and ‘sgraffito' façade on the museum house.
- Lucerne: See the emotive Lion Monument, Jesuit Church and Chapel Bridge.
- Scenic drives: Bavarian Alps, German Alpine Road, Semmering Pass, the Dolomites, Engadine Valley, Grison Alps.
AUTHENTIC REGIONAL FLAVOURS
- Dürnstein: Visit a local winery to learn about and sample the unique Wachau wine.
- Vienna: For your dining pleasure, you are offered a selection of Vienna's vibrant restaurants. With drinks, a delicious 3-course dinner and Gemütlichkeit in abundance, your Dine-Around evening is a culinary experience not to be missed.
- Stanserhorn: A spectacular journey by cable car and cogwheel railway takes you to the summit for expansive mountain views over Lake Lucerne for your special Celebration Dinner. Fill your glasses with wine and toast to newfound friends.
- 11 Buffet Breakfasts (BB); plus 1 Welcome Dinner (WD), 3 three-course table d���hôte Dinner (DW), 1 Dine-Around (DA) and 1 Celebration Dinner (CD) all with wine, plus tea or coffee.
- Neuschwanstein: A Local Expert leads you through fanciful rooms fashioned by medieval legend. Take in the amazing views over valleys and verdant mountains.
- Vienna: A private, guided exploration of Schönbrunn Palace will have all your senses tingling. Stand beneath frescoed ceilings, crystal chandeliers and gilded Rococo frames where Mozart performed as a child prodigy.
- Glacier Express: Journey through the heart of the Swiss Alps aboard the world-famous Glacier Express. Once settled into your modern panoramic viewing car, sit back, spellbound as Mother Nature unveils a scenic symphony of epic grandeur.
STAY AT THE BEST ADDRESSES
- St Moritz: The elegant Crystal Hotel is located close to shops in the town centre, where all the prestigious names from Chanel and Gucci to Louis Vuitton are lined up together.
- Lucerne: The century-old City Palais in the heart of Lucerne has been masterfully restored. Behind the historical facade lies this distinctive first-class luxury Renaissance Hotel.
You will visit the following 3 places:
Switzerland, officially the Swiss Confederation, is a federal republic in Europe. While still named the Swiss Confederation for historical reasons, modern Switzerland is a federal directorial republic consisting of 26 cantons, with Bern as the seat of the federal authorities, called '"federal city". Situated in Western-Central Europe, Switzerland is also a landlocked country geographically divided between the Alps, the Swiss Plateau and the Jura. Spanning the intersection of Germanic and Romance Europe, Switzerland comprises four main linguistic and cultural regions: German, French, Italian and Romansh. Although the majority of the population are German speaking, Swiss national identity is rooted in a common historical background, shared values such as federalism and direct democracy, and Alpine symbolism. One of the most developed countries in the world, Switzerland ranks at or near the top globally in several metrics of national performance, including government transparency, civil liberties, quality of life, economic competitiveness, and human development. Its cities contain medieval quarters, with landmarks like capital Bern’s Zytglogge clock tower and Lucerne’s wooden chapel bridge. The country is also known for its ski resorts and hiking trails.
Misunderstood by many, Germany is one of the most unique and charming countries on the continent. Since reunification Germany has at last gained a higher profile as a place to visit, thanks partly to the remarkable resurgence of its capital, Berlin, one of the most fascinating and exciting cities in Europe. It's no surprise at all that today’s Germany is more diverse and cosmopolitan than old stereotypes suggest; mixing time-honoured nationalism and tradition with multicultural modernism and self-confidence.
Austria is a German-speaking federal republic and a landlocked country of over 8.66 million people in Central Europe. It is characterized by its mountain villages, baroque city architecture, Imperial history and rugged alpine terrain. Vienna, its Danube River capital, is home to the Schonbrunn and Hofburg palaces, and has counted Mozart, Strauss and Sigmund Freud among its residents. The country’s other notable regions include the northern Bohemian Forest, Lake Traun and eastern hillside vineyards.